Sunday, August 23, 2009

A turning point.....

We were at football practice the other night, (of course, where else would we be) and I had gone to the gas station to get us a drink and a few snacks. Luckily I had done that because Ella had fallen asleep and when she woke up she was grouchy!! She looked over and I had bought some Gatorade for the boys. She looked over at my bag of goodies and said "can I have that alligator?" - I had no idea what she was talking about. I had to stop and think and ask her again what it was she wanted..."the alligator" was her reply. Puzzled I looked in the bag and realized she was referring to the blue Gatorades that were in the bag. No, they weren't for her, but how could I say NO to such an odd request. She drank the Gatorade, and the Jensen never knew the difference. Silly to think that my 4 1/2 year old girl calls a Gatorade and alligator - whatever, it made me laugh.
Drew was with us that night because his coach finishes up early on Friday nights for those kids who want to go the Alta game - alot of the boys on his team have big brothers that play on the high school team. I wanted him to come with us to maybe help to give Jensen the boost he needs before his practice. Come to find out, along with feeling like he might be kidnapped if JD or I aren't there at his practice he is also afraid of being "leveled" by another boy. Well, on Friday it was Jensen that was the one doing the "leveling". Our little Jensen, a whopping 52 pounds was literally taking out a much bigger boy. Time after time, Jensen was knocking this boy to the ground, finally the boy had had enough and was done getting up. The coach went up to him and asked how many fingers he was holding up, "3" was the boys reply, the coach was only holding up 2. Who knows if he was serious with his answer and really hurt, or if his pride had just been taking too much of a beating. Jensens confidence grew that night and he know realizes that it is not the size of the dog that matters, its how much fight is in that dog. (No, I didn't make that up, it is what his dad has told him, along with "would you rather be the hammer or the nail??") He may have also decided not to take any crap from anyone because Uncle Corey and Aunt Janeen came, so did Uncle Bradley and Aunt Julie, then to our surprise Grandpa and Grandma also showed up...it was a fun way to spend a Friday night, sitting outside with people you love and watching football. All was right with the world that night....in my little opinion, anyway :)

1 comment:

Jana said...

YAY!!!!! I heard all about it from Janeen! Awesome job Jens!!