Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A week of perfomances....

So the 3 big kids all got to participate in the Temple Celebration that was put on by the youth in the areas of the Draper and Oquirrah (spelling, duh??) Mountain Temple districts. Our stake did a dance that represented the 1920's a 'flapper' dance. They spent the last 2 months every Wednesday during YMYW practicing and preparing for the show. There were lots of other long practices and dress rehearsals (upwards of 5 hours) to get it all right. J.D. and I were able to get tickets and go to the Conference Center on Friday night for the show. President Monson was there along with President Eyring. It was amazing to see the amount of kids, nearly 7,000 and about 1,000 youth leaders, who all put in tons of hours to be able to put on the show. The spirit was amazing and I hope my kids never forget what they were able to participate in. There will most likely never be another experience like this in their lives. We have been so blessed to be able to watch the Draper Temple be built, go to the open house with our little family and to attend the dedication with Morgan, Brenna and Drew.


I think that they really do love each other, what more could a mom ask for??!?
Morgans favorite part - Singing "Happy Birthday" to Pres. Eyring before the program started and the Military Tribute when men and women from the audience could stand and be recognized when their branch was represented. Her dad stood (along with President Monson) when they honored people who had served in the Navy.
Brennas favorite part - The very end of the program when the family all walked together to the top of the mountain towards the temple, while the youth choir sang "Families Can Be Together Forever"
Drew - "The whole thing" - (such a typical answer from my 12 year old, he is a boy of little words) and dancing with a girl, of course. His partner was one of Brennas best friends, Lindsay Dixon. An older woman!! SO LUCKY.

Drew was also in a Shakespearean Show at school this last week. His class did an Irish dance and they got to wear kilts. To be quite honest, I was surprised that he even let me take his picture while wearing a skirt!! Still handsome as ever. The 6th grade practiced their plays for a month or so. "Midsummer Nights Dream" was the play they put on.

On Friday night Brenna had her last dance recital for the year. The show was at the Sandy Amphitheater and lasted for 5, I repeat 5 hours. Sadly, my camera did not take any good pictures of Brenna and her company while they were dancing (too far back, not good lighting), I don't know what it was, so all I got were Ella and Jensen who were GREAT sports and so patient to sit through the show. Morgan and Drew were all at the dress rehearsal for the Temple Celebration, so they dodged a bullet. We had a good time overall, the weather was great, just got a little cold after the sun went down. I was not prepared for that so luckily I had an extra blanket and Ella got that.

Jensen is a GOOF!! He makes us laugh every day and was ready to be done by the end of the show, he was still able to smile for me and my camera though!!

We started out fresh and looking forward to dancing. There is a little waterfall behind Jensen, we thought that this would be a cute place to take a picture of the kids...J.D. convinced me to get in this time. Sorry Brenna, this is all you get of your end of year show!! You did amazing and just know that we all love you!

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

A five hour dance recital????
I got my book from blurb.com It took me several hours once I downloaded the program to move around my photos and figure out the book cover etc. But it was soooo worth it. It looks very professional. I think when I do it with my 2009 year, I will order one for each kid to have. (Way easier than scrapbooks!) With summer coming, we should get our families (Jana too) together sometime.

Christy said...

What an amazing experience! I admit I got a little choked up reading about Pres. Monson and JD standing together with others who have served our country.
Also. I played Hermia in my 6th grade production of Midsummer Night's Dream. I was amazing.

Natalie said...

I can't believe your baby is that old. Your Ella is so cute. So cute that she cried when her baby brother cried. I never get sick of your posts. I love reading them. I was a little jealous I didn't have a 12 yr old yet for those temple performances, but not jealous enough to go. I hear it was amazing from everyone. Year end is busy and all those performances will be over. What will we do then. Nice pictures of Brenna. I should have taken some for you.

Julie said...

Jenn-
When did drew grow up? I nearly cried when I saw that first pic of him and the girls. He looks way to old to be only going into the 7th grade. It makes me really really sad. But it makes me really happy to see what a handsome, fun and good kid he has turned into.
Love you guys,
Julie