Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A week in the life of.....

We started off this last week with Jensen heading off to scout camp early Monday morning. I can't believe that he is going to be 8 at the end of this month, in fact, it snuck up on me so badly that I didn't even have a scout shirt for him to wear. Sunday night I was taking Drews old shirt apart (the awards and such), and washing it so it could be ready for Jensen the next day. He went to camp on Monday and Tuesday and had alot of fun, shooting bb guns, bow and arrows, sling-shots and learning about fossils. Before he left for camp the only question he had for me was "are we going to learn how to make fires??" - sadly, no, but he had a good time anyway. They watched different shows and he was sad on Tuesday afternoon when he got home because he knew he wouldn't be going back the next day. He also came home with a pocket knife from the Trading Post, a must for a boy at his age....
Morgan and Brenna were also away at girls camp this week. Our house was especially quiet and we quickly realized that we MISS our people when they are not at home. Neither J.D. or I like going to bed at night without our kids in their beds, I know, I am a total baby. They got home on Friday and they also had a great time. Morgan was a YCL this last year and she was able to be in charge of her own tent and have a group of girls that she was in charge of. She spend many hours preparing devotionals and handouts for her girls. They all had a sport associated with their tent, and Morgan chose baseball. She gave her girls baseball shirts with their names on them, baseball socks, hats, and balls. Each night before bed they got their treat with a thought associated with it. She prepared well, and I was proud of her for taking it so seriously.
So, this is how my baby still looks....sleeping always. I am so happy that he is such a good boy. This is one of his morning naps - there can be noise and confusion going on around him and he will just sleep right through it. I tell people that if there were a checklist of things to order up on your newborn, he would be the one with all the right things checked off!! He is really starting to smile and "talk" with us. J.D. was starting to get worried that it would never happen, so it is gratifying to have him respond to us. The smiles are priceless!! He is 3 months old now, and already sleeping through the night. I never had any other of my kids do that at such a young age. You would never know by looking at him that he was a preemie either, he has packed on the pounds and is growing like crazy. What a treat it is to have Jiles in our lives....

We love to have Corey and Janeen and their baby Owen over. Ella loves to be in the hot tub, I turned the temperature way down so it is more like a warm pool, which is so nice in the hot summer. We thought that it would be fun to see if Owen liked it and sure enough he did. He likes most things and almost always has a smile on his face. He is a great little boy and it will be so fun for him to be able to grow up with my kids. Ella really enjoys him right now and I am sure he and Jiles will be great friends someday. They are only 8 months apart in age, and my other sister Julie will be having a baby boy at the end of October. It has been a blessing that cousins have kind of been born in clumps of girls and boys....they all get along and we are all so lucky that we all live close by each other.


The big news of the week is that Morgan cut her hair!! She looks so cute with it short, I know that she was scared and so was I....we got her into my hair girl and she did an amazing job. Morgan has tried to grow her hair out, she has had hair extensions, but none of them seemed to be as cute as the short hair. I am glad she did it, but it makes her look even older than she is which is the only thing that I don't know if I love. Oh well.
Morgan was off on a date later that night, so she did not spend it with our family and she was missed. I don't really like sharing her with other families on holidays, that is going to take some getting used to and to be honest, I don't know how often I will let it happen.
So, on Saturday we had another get together at my house for the 24th of July celebration in Draper. They always celebrate the week before with their parade, carnival, rodeo and fireworks. We started off our morning at the parade with Julie, Janeen and Jill and their families. Getting into a scuffle with the family next to us was the highlight of the morning...No need to elaborate, just know that Jill and Janeen are not going to take crap from anyone, while Julie and I sat back and tried to be polite. Morgan wanted to crawl under her chair and the police got involved. (It sounds worse than it was, and we can all laugh about it now) - "what?? - are you going to handcuff me??"
We also celebrated Uncle Blakes 20th birthday that night with a little birthday cake and a song....I made him his first cake when he turned 1 and J.D. and I lived in Washington, again, another reminder of how time flies. We were all glad that he came over and we were able to spend some time with him. He did blow out all 20 candles in 1 breath, good job Blake!!

Before the fireworks started all the kids spent some time in the hot/cool tub...with much splashing and screaming, everyone had a fun time. Beau, hung on to the side for dear life, which really isn't his personality, and Aliza was in and then out, I think that there were too many in for her liking. The big boys were nice and didn't cause any problems.

Watching the kids in the water so we don't have any drownings - having lots of treats after a really yummy dinner of gourmet hot dogs and corn on the cob. When we get together we know how to eat and we always prepare way too much food. We do it every time though, you would think we would learn, but no. We went and sat on our hill in the back yard at 10:00 when the fireworks started and had a pretty good view. We noticed this year that our trees and bushes are getting bigger because they are starting to get in the way. Next year we might need a new plan, but I really like staying home and not fighting the crowds or the traffic of the park. Oh well, another great 24th celebration!!

No comments: