Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Happy Birthday to Drew, J.D. and Jenn.....

Happy Halloween!!

We all decided to be traditional Halloweenies this year, the idea started with Morgan half-joking saying that she wanted to be a pumpkin. The idea stuck, so we ended up with a vampire, a scarecrow, a mummy, a black cat, a pumpkin and the cutest witch ever - Baby Ji-ji is our skeleton. (Poor kid, sleeping when it was time to take pictures)

Me and my best girls!! How I love my sisters and my mom....I am so thankful that we can all be such good friends and enjoy being around each other. I don't think those kind of relationships come along all the time. They are all such blessings in my life.
Morgan, and one of the MANY boys that come around. I urge her each and every day not to get too serious with one over another.....a hard and fast rule at my house is NO BOYFRIENDS!! Okay, maybe not a rule, but a strong suggestion. She is happy with that situation because she does have lots of opportunities to know and meet lots of cuties...
(ah, to be a teenager again,....NOT)
One of the rules of our annual Halloween party is that we don't tell each other what we are coming dressed up as. The surprise at the front door when you see grown-ups dressed up is most of the fun. We always have such a good time laughing at what everyone comes up with - I have to say, the last 4 years of this tradition has been one of the highlights of our year. The thought of getting ready for the party is full of dread, but during the party there is nothing but fun.
I guess great minds think alike, because this year Corey and J.D. both came as vampires.

Leah and Ella-Bella - cute little cousins.
Unfortunately I don't get nearly as many pictures of the little ones as I probably should. I don't know if it because they all disperse so quickly when they get to my house or if it is that I am too focused on all the adults that I get side tracked. Either way, I must try harder next year....
Happy Birthday to Drew!! I now am the proud mother of 3 teenagers....how handsome is he??
He is the reason for our strange and silly Halloween tradition. I figured if I am going to have a birthday party we may as well make it interesting.
As most of you know, Drew and I share the same special day. He was the best birthday gift that I ever received 13 years ago!! I tell him that all the time and I am pretty sure that he doesn't mind sharing his day with his mom. I love you Drew. You are an amazing example to your family. He has the kindest and one softest hearts of anyone I know. He is a big strong boy that thankfully still needs his mom and dad and I pray everyday that he will continue to need me as much as I need him.
We had a small family birthday party with cake and presents earlier in the week for J.D.'s birthday (October 21) - he had been out of town all day so our party started at 9:00p.m. that night. Ella and I went birthday shopping for our dad and she picked out one of his gifts all by herself. No joke, she went up to a rack, pulled down a shirt and brought it over to me. It was his size and I knew the minute I saw it that he would love it. Obviously she did too.
We came home later that afternoon and 'built' him a cake, wrapped his gifts, bought his balloons and made a 'happy birthday' banner that we all signed. Hopefully he had a nice day - after all, most of it was spent in Minnesota and on a plane, but we did what we could.
We love you J.D. thanks for being the best dad and hubby a family could want!! You rule!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Wow! Looks like you've been busy at your house. I LOVE Ella's witch costume. Also, 'how fun' that you and Drew share a birthday, you're a nice mom to share nicely, I wouldn't want to share my birthday with anyone...

Natalie said...

I love that family tradition. I love seeing your pictures from your party every year. You Hackwells know how to party.

Jana said...

I love the halloween/b-day party! You guys are the best!!! And are so nice to host every year!:) It is so fun and we all love it! It is so funny to see what we all come up with! That picture of JD and Corey is way funny!! Julie didn't want me posting pictures of her because she was sad and feeling nasty!! Poor girl! Ok...funny...I think I shorted Drew on a doller?! Ask him how much I gave him? I think I only gave him 12 bucks...haha!!! I know he was turning 13. I am a dork!!! Luvs!!!