Monday, March 1, 2010

Purple flowers, purple dresses.....


I learned a lesson today.....taking advice from your 5 year old daughter can really pay off. Ella and I had been in the house all morning, me doing loads and loads of laundry trying to play catch up from our weekend away and I had stuck Ella in front of video after video. Jiles slept all morning and we were both going a little stir crazy. We drove to the gas station to get our daily drink (and donut for Ella) and on the way home Ella said to me "Mom, remember when we had a picnic outside?" Well - yes I do remember and it was then her suggestion that we do it again today. To be honest, it was not my favorite idea, I still felt like I had alot to do, and after all it is only March 1st, still a little cold for a picnic. I agreed to sit on the front porch and eat our lunch and to be quite honest I was so grateful for my little Ella at that moment.
The sun shone on our faces, we took off our shoes and ate our lunch. The time-out from being inside and doing laundry was just what we both needed.

Seeing the world through my babies eyes today was fabulous. He had a few first's...

First fist full of dirt, quickly followed by his first MOUTH full of dirt....

First tickle on the face with a dried up flower from last fall

followed by a great shiver caught on film.....

First touch of the grass, and to my surprise he didn't mind it....hopefully he will like GREEN grass just as well.
Today I was reminded, that taking time out to have moments with my babies are far more important than any load of laundry....
Today I was reminded with the purple flower that bloomed in my yard that, thank heaven, it will be spring again someday....
Hopefully that someday is sooner rather than later.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

That is exactly why one of my favorite quotes is, "Enjoy the little things, for one day you'll look back and realize they were the big things." Takes a good mother to be able to put down the 'to do' list and focus on the now. You are a great mom.

Jana said...

I LOVE HIS SHIVER FACE!!! It is so true!! I have to remind myself often...take time and do what your kids WANT to do. Hope you guys had a great weekend away..cant wait to hear about it! Luvs!

Natalie said...

So beautifully said. I get anxiety when I have a busy day and my kids ask me to do those kind of things. I need to work on that. I loved those pics. I can't believe you have purple flowers. I have tulips starting to pop and I saw a bee. Yay!!!!

Pete and Bekah Ackerman said...

I loved your post! It's something that we all need to remember. Your kids are adorable and you made me so excited for spring! Yay!

Anonymous said...

I could agree more with you!

Robison's said...

Wow, what a great post! Thank you! You do get caught up in life's craziness, and it is so good to take a time-out especially for your kids. Your kids are adorable! He is getting so big!!