Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Life as the mom.....

I so often feel like I need pictures to go with my posts, but as I have sat reflectively this morning I wanted to take a moment to write about each one of my kids and what is going on in their lives right now. Mothers Day just passed and as always, I feel extra blessed. Each of my kids making me a homemade card with a similar theme, they all love their mom!! What more could I ask for? We live in a busy world, I am not immune to it. I am usually up and going in the morning, before lunch with errands of any kind, ranging from doctor or dentist appointments to grocery stores and banks. Today we have been all kinds of lazy.

As J.D. and I sat in bed last night discussing our days we were watching a particular T.V. show where the son was graduating from high school. I suddenly found myself teary eyed in the realization that Morgan only has 1 more year left. Sure I have known it, I have talked about it, but it wasn't until I actually thought about it did it hit me like a wave. It almost makes me lose my breath. Maybe it was because of the day she and I had enjoyed together 'We have done all grown-up things today, Mom...' was her reply when we got home from opening her a checking account with her very own debit card and picking up a job application to the"Treehouse". I cannot begin to explain the amount of pride and joy I take in knowing that I am her mother. She got accepted into the Dental Assistant program for next year at the Jordan Technical Center, leaving regular high school every day at 11:30 and she couldn't be happier. She is ready to be a grown-up. She is ready to move on. I, however am not ready to let her.

Brenna is so excited to go to High School. Yesterday we had a doctor's appointment for her to have a physical in order to cheer, she went from the 15% in height to the 75% in just 2 years, no wonder people keep telling her how tall she is getting. Watching her grow is amazing. She is full of confidence, something that I always dreamed of. She has grown from a stuffy-nosed little girl with teeth too big for her mouth to a gorgeous 'tall and lanky' (as the doctor put it) young woman. She is funny with personality oozing out of her!! She will make an amazing cheerleader at Alta High - they are lucky to have her!!

Drew, my strong and silent boy. He is growing also, I said to J.D. the other day "we are raising a man-child..." I always wondered what it would feel like to have my son be as big as me. He got on the scale the other day and I actually gasped when he told me he weighed 131 pounds. I love watching him wrestle with his dad. I love watching him pass the sacrament. I love watching he and Jensen curling up and going to bed together at the end of each day. I love watching his confidence grow at school when he pulls his 'not so good' grades up. I love watching him teach himself how to juggle. I love watching him try to use big words and act like a grown-up. I love that he still loves his mom.

Jensen is a boy that I get a giggle out of almost every day. He is one of the happiest people I have ever known. Jensen is such a responsible boy, he loves knowing that his 'tasks' are done. He is a self-motivated child when it comes to homework and helping around the house (not so self-motivated when it comes to waking up in the morning!!) Jensen loves to eat! He always orders off of the big kid menu, loves bacon on his burger and Chili Verde burritos...his eyes are almost always bigger than his stomach, but he gives everything he chooses to eat his best effort. Jensen is the best kisser around. He is not afraid to 'pucker-up' and just plant one on us - sad for me to admit, but sometimes they are more than I want. I need to remember that each time he leans in I need to savor the moment and realize that one day he will be sharing those luscious lips with other girls.

Ella is just Ella. I can tell she is growing and wanting more than just me all day every day. Sad for me to admit, but my little girl is ready and excited for bigger things. Kindergarten in the Fall is something that she is looking forward to. She is learning to prefer her own bed instead of the couch in mom and dads room. She surprises me with the knowledge she has of her letters and numbers. I am realizing with each child that I feel blessed to have smart children. They do not struggle to learn. They enjoy the process and are eager to learn more. Ella is playing soccer again and for the most part likes it, on some days I still see the 'princess' come out in her and she wonders to herself if soccer is really what she wants to be doing. She loves her chocolate milk in the morning with melted cheese on bread, all served to her on her Princess plate - I know, I have created this....I will take full responsibility.

Jiles is growing (notice the continuing theme) - why can't time just slow down. I want to remember these days, but they go by at such speed. He is a great sleeper, 10-12 hours at a shot, a great eater, almost anything you put in his mouth, and a great smiler, will give it up a just the slightest look. He has 2 teeth and I don't see the signs of any others coming in. He loves to stand at the open window in my room and look in the backyard, he likes to yell out to anyone or anything (the horses). I wish someone in our house was named "Abbey" because that is what he says, I am not sure if he is trying to say 'puppy' or if I am giving the kid too much credit. Maybe it is just the sound he likes to make!! :)

2 comments:

Jana said...

Aww..Jenn! I am in tears! What a great post! Makes me want to do it but I think I would sob the entire time. Lol...I am the biggest baby! You do have fabulous kids and I am not just sayin that either as they are blood. But they really are great beautiful kids and I am so glad I get to be a part of life. xoxo

Natalie said...

How did you get the best kids. I hope my turn out as fabulous.